POSITION SUMMARY: For each of our four facilities, the assigned Food Safety and Quality Assurance Specialist L1 oversees the food safety programs critical to maintaining high food safety standards. The Food Safety and Quality Assurance Specialist oversees and monitors programs, documents, and procedures to ensure that our processes’ food safety and regulatory compliance are in line and ready for audits. All food safety programs, policies, and documents must be reviewed and updated yearly before the first harvest in April.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Conduct the same duties and responsibilities as Food Safety Techs.
- The Food Safety & Quality Assurance Specialist oversees the work and tasks of Food Safety Techs.
- Manage all corrective actions for food safety and production records daily for all facilities.
- Initiate corrective actions for GMP audits for each facility and as necessary and manage any pending work orders. In addition, ensure all FS documents and procedures are up to date and ready for customer and third-party audits.
- Support the food safety supervisor to ensure all food safety techs have the necessary training and understanding to conduct the internal function of the department. Those functions include GMP audits, environmental swabs, ATPs swabs, water sampling, glass, and brittle plastic to meet third-party and regulatory audits.
- Provide technical support to the food safety management team in preparing for audits and updating necessary documents.
- Assist the Sr. Food Safety manager in digitizing important food safety documents and develop more efficient record keeping for all facilities.
- Assist Sr. Food Safety manager on improvement opportunities for all four facilities.
- Serve as a backup for other techs and assist FS supervisor as needed basis.
- Other duties as assigned.
Analytical – Synthesizes complex or diverse information; collects and researches data; uses intuition and experience to complement data; designs workflows and procedures.
Attention to Detail- Diligently attends to details and pursues quality in accomplishing tasks.
Accountability & Dependability – Balances quality of work with meeting deadlines. Makes the best use of available time and resources.
Problem Solving- Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem-solving situation. Identifies, collects, and organizes data for analysis and decision making.
Teamwork- Exhibits objectivity and openness to others’ views; gives and welcomes feedback; contributes to building a positive team spirit; able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objects.
Business Acumen- Understands business implications of decisions.
Strategic Thinking- Develops strategies to achieve organizational goals.
Education and Experience
- BS in Microbiology, Food Science, Chemistry, Biology or other related science-based background.
- 1+ year of Microbiology laboratory supervision experience in food, beverage or ingredient manufacturing or microbiology laboratory service provider
- HACCP (Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points) is preferred but not required.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish, preferred.
- Basic knowledge of HACCP and GMPs preferred.
- Technical knowledge of food safety and quality assurance procedures and programs, regulatory requirements, microbial hazards, HACCP program development, microbiological laboratory procedures, and plant operations preferred.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or similar software.
- Reports to: Director of Food Safety
- Supervisory responsibilities include: None
- Status: Hourly year-round
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounter while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job the employee may be driving to the different worksites. May require prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer. This position may be exposed to adverse weather
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee will be exposed to a typical office environment — prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer. However, the employee is expected to travel to the different locations (within 50 miles radius distance from primary location) to interact with employees in multiple processes (e.g., onboarding, training, etc.). When visiting the plant or ranch operations this position will be exposed to adverse weather conditions. Employee may need to walk to uneven ground, work near equipment or machinery. The noise level that is typical of this work environment is moderate.
Must be willing to work a flexible schedule that includes weekends and holidays; this is critical to support the needs of the business and is subject to change.