Compliance. Gerawan Farming's compliance standards always exceed regulatory requirements.
- In each of the last five years, there was an average of three unannounced inspections by the multi-agency enforcement officials. We passed every inspection.
- In the last fourteen years, with millions of man-hours worked, only four complaints were filed with Cal-OSHA, and all four were proven to be unfounded.
Safety. Our Safety Team takes immediate action to eliminate any potential safety hazards. This helps us achieve what our workers' comp provider tells us is the safest work environment in our industry.
Water: Besides ice-cold water, in the afternoons on summer days, we deliver cold sports drinks to field employees even though this is not required by law and other employers do not do this. In fact, in 2012 we spent over $100,000 on sports drinks.
Facilities. Our grape packing areas in the field are shaded and also cooled using dozens of port-a-cools.
Cleanliness. We maintain a high level of cleanliness in our orchards, vineyards, facilities, and rest-rooms. Our employees have praised Gerawan Farming for having the best sanitation.
Gerawan Farming sets the standard for higher wages. Our reputation is that we always exceed industry average wages and are the first to increase wages. Employees tell us that one of the many reasons they enjoy working at Gerawan Farming is because we pay the highest wages.
$9 per hour is known to be the normal industry wage in our area. However, there are no surveys that we could find that accurately reflect that fact. So, we included two surveys that seem to be closest to reality.
|Gerawan employees who ...
|Only pack grapes (piecework)
|Field labor (hourly) and pack grapes (piecework)
|Only pick grapes (piecework)
|Field labor (hourly) and pick grapes (piecework)
|All field labor hourly base rate
In addition to our high wages, eligible employees receive annual bonuses and other benefits uncommon in our industry. Over the last fourteen years, thousands of Gerawan employees who work at least 1,200 hours during the year have received millions of dollars in retirement and vacation pay.
Furthermore, to harness our employees' purchasing power, we constantly develop partnerships with local and national merchants to provide Gerawan employees with the benefit of exclusive discounts on everyday products and services.
- Gerawan Farming initiated a partnership with Fresno Pacific University to provide intensive English classes to employees. Though many employees want to learn English, they are not always able to fit classes into their schedule. So, Gerawan Farming invested $100,000 to provide the facility, teachers, books, computers, and iPads for each student. We also paid the employees to attend the classes, so they had no loss of income while learning English.
- We provide formal training to employees that seek a leadership or technical position (e.g., tractor driver, equipment operator, forklift operator, supervisor, manager, etc.). Supervisors and managers are well trained in CPR, safety, labor practices, anti-harassment, leadership, customer service, etc.
- Gerawan has paid over $600,000 the last fourteen years for employees' children to attend private Catholic school if they wish. This opportunity is offered to all employees.
- We offer student loans to employees with potential who want to pursue a higher education. For example, one employee who started as a farmworker with us is currently enrolled at Cal Poly pursuing a degree in engineering. Gerawan provided him with a student loan with no requirement to pay it back if the employee continues his career with Gerawan.
- We provide transportation to and from workers' compensation appointments, interpreters, and we compensate employees for their time while attending the appointments.
- We have a friendly return-to-work program for employees who have a work injury or illness. We gladly assist to accommodate any temporary physical restriction recommended by the physician during recovery.
- If the physician recommends time off due to a work injury or illness, Gerawan Farming may offer to continue the employee's full salary for that period to ease any financial hardship on the employee.
We are known for our culture of professionalism, fairness, and respect. There are multiple channels for employees to communicate suggestions and complaints, and we take an active approach to make sure employees know their rights. We listen, investigate thoroughly and quickly, and then act on what our employees tell us. Managers are readily available to meet with employees to discuss any issue or concern.
The company's owners are also part of the management team and readily accessible to employees. The company's president is fluent in Spanish and is in direct contact with employees at all levels.
- Most of our supervisors and managers have been promoted from general labor positions.
- We actively seek career opportunities for high-potential employees to increase the employee's chances of a brighter future.
- Historic Farmland Easement. Last year Gerawan Farming voluntarily placed over 9,000 acres of actively farmed land into a permanent agricultural conservation easement. This created a legal commitment to keep the land in agriculture forever. This historic easement is the largest of its kind in the state.
- Employee Outreach. Gerawan Farming has a long-standing philosophy of reaching out to its workers and the farm worker community in general. Our "Conozca Sus Derechos" public service announcements appeared in print, radio, and TV to advise farmworkers on labor-related topics and services available to the community.
- We participate in networking events and career fairs at universities to help students to broaden their understanding of the labor market.
- We offer tours to academic institutions and their students to help them with their instruction goals.
- Our executives guest lecture at university classes.
- We support law enforcement by frequently loaning our facilities for training.
- We support fire fighters by donating training facilities.
- We sponsor community events such as the Reedley's Fourth of July celebrations and Festival de la Fruta.
- We frequently donate to local charities and churches.
- Not only do we rely on the natural energy of the sun to produce sweet juicy peaches, two solar energy farms provide most of the electricity needed to pack them as well.